Helpful Household Hints & Tips
(some of which are even handier for soap/candlemakers!)
|1) Flies or bees bothering you? Spray them with hair
spray and they will take a quick dive.
2) Sealed envelope - Put in the freezer for a few hours, then slide a knife
under the flap. The envelope can then be resealed.
3) Use Empty toilet paper roll to store appliance cords. It keeps them neat
and you can write on the roll what appliance it belongs to.
4) For icy door steps in freezing temperatures: get warm water and put Dawn
dishwashing liquid in it. Pour it all over the steps. They won't refreeze.
5) Crayon marks on walls? This worked wonderfully! A damp rag, dipped in
baking soda. Comes off with little effort(elbow grease that is!).
6) Permanent marker on appliances/counter tops (like store receipt BLUE!)
rubbing alcohol on paper towel.
7) Whenever I purchase a box of S.O.S Pads, I immediately take a pair of
scissors and cut each pad into halves. After years of having to throw away
rusted and unused and smelly pads, I finally decided that this would be
much more economical. And now a box of S.O.S pads last me indefinitely! In
fact, I have noticed that the scissors get sharpened this way!
8) Opening brand new jars can be a feat in itself. Well, I have found a way
to make it the easiest thing to do. Instead of banging a jar of jam,
pickles, etc., with a knife until it loosens up, I simply reach into the
drawer and pull out the handy nutcracker. It adjusts to the size of the jar
and I simply give it a good twist and off pops the lid!
9) Blood stains on clothes? Not to worry! Just pour a little hydrogen
peroxide on a cloth and proceed to wipe off every drop of blood. Works
10) Use vertical strokes when washing windows outside and horizontal for
inside windows. This way you can tell which side has the streaks. Straight
vinegar will get outside windows really clean. Don't wash windows on a
sunny day. They will dry too quickly and will probably streak.
11) Spray a bit of perfume on the light bulb in any room to create a lovely
light scent in each room when the light is turned on. Place fabric
softener sheets in dresser drawers and your clothes will smell freshly
washed for weeks to come. You can also do this with towels and linen.
12) Candles will last a lot longer if placed in the freezer for at least 3
hours prior to burning.
13) To clean artificial flowers, pour some salt into a paper bag and add
the flowers. Shake vigorously as the salt will absorb all the dust and dirt
and leave your artificial flowers looking like new! Works like a charm!
14) To easily remove burnt on food from your skillet, simply add a drop or
two of dish soap and enough water to cover bottom of pan, and bring to a
boil on stovetop.
15) Spray your TUPPERWARE with nonstick cooking spray before pouring in
tomato based sauces and there won't be any stains. (Key Word:-Tupperware.)
16) When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking pan, use a bit of the
dry cake mix instead and there won't be any white mess on the outside of the
17) Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator and it
will keep for weeks.
18) When boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to help bring out
the corn's natural sweetness.
19) Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your
forehead. The throbbing will go away.
20) Don't throw out all that leftover wine: Freeze into ice cubes for
future use in casseroles and sauces.
21) To get rid of itch from mosquito bites, try applying soap on the area
and you will experience instant relief.
22) Ants, ants, ants everywhere ... Well, they are said to never cross a
chalk line. So get your chalk out and draw a line on the floor or wherever
ants tend to march. See for yourself.
23) Use air-freshener to clean mirrors. It does a good job and better still,
leaves a lovely smell to the shine.
24) When you get a splinter, reach for the scotch tape before resorting to
tweezers or a needle. Simply put the scotch tape over the splinter, then
pull it off. Scotch tape removes most splinters painlessly and easily.
25) Now look what you can do with Alka Seltzer. Clean a toilet. Drop in two
Alka Seltzer tablets, wait twenty minutes, brush and flush. The citric acid
and effervescent action clean vitreous China. Clean a vase. To remove a
stain from the bottom of a glass vase or cruet, fill with water and drop in
two Alka Seltzer tablets. Polish jewelry. Drop two Alka Seltzer tablets
into a glass of water and immerse the jewelry for two minutes. Clean a
thermos bottle. Fill the bottle with water, drop in four Alka Seltzer
tablets, and let soak for an hour (or longer, if necessary. Unclog a drain.
Clear the sink drain by dropping three Alka Seltzer tablets down the drain
followed by a cup of Heinz White Vinegar. Wait a few minutes, then run the